901-543-2333 901-543-2*** show
Open Jobs - 0

About Company

The end of World War II came about, and the concept of television came into full being. Television stations were being started all across the country and Americans were excited about having “sight” added to the sounds they loved so dearly. In September 1948, the federal government imposed a “freeze” on the allocation of channels throughout the nation. In April 1952, after that freeze was lifted, WREC applied for VHF Channel 3 in Memphis. Three years later, after a lengthy license application procedure before the Federal Communications Commission, Wooten and WREC were granted the right to operate a television station. Seven months later, on December 31, 1955 – a day ahead of the station’s formal beginning – WREC-TV went on the air with the Gator Bowl. Full local and CBS network service began the next day, Sunday January 1, 1956. WREC-TV had begun operations as a CBS affiliate. (Channels 5 and 13 had begun on-air operations.) The television station, as the radio station had done for many years, operated out of the Hotel Peabody location. New staff members, technicians, news and production people were added, and the “new” Channel 3 enjoyed years of success. In 1962, Wooten sold his properties to Cowles Communication, Incorporated. In 1971, Cowles transferred WREC-TV to The New York Times Company. The change in the station’s call letters, from WREC-TV to WREG-TV, came later as the radio and television operations finally severed their connections. WREG-TV is now housed in downtown Memphis along the banks of the Mississippi river. In May 2007, the station transferred ownership from The New York Times Company to Local TV LLC.